Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I deserve Hell

These Levites, they pop up everywhere. It may not be earth shattering to come to the conclusion that as far as the bible goes the tribe of Judah and the tribe of Levi really do play center stage. We would all do well to sit in the presence of the Father and just try to absorb what He wants us to take from the two tribes. But this really is not more of my insanity as i discover the Levites this is about Malachi, who of course is a Levite. Malachi ends the old testament with powerful words about John the Baptist, another Levite. He tells us that, "he will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers." Powerful words that I have been pondering in context of a man crying out in the wilderness for a generation to get ready for the Lord's return. But right before that gem he talks about something that has been sitting with me for some time. Malachi 2:17 says, "You have wearied the Lord with your words. But you say, 'How have we wearied him?' 'By saying everyone who does evil is good in the sight of the Lord and he delights in them.' Or by just asking, 'where is the God of justice?'" Why this sits with me should be clear to anyone who knows me.
For clarification: Those who are righteous are not those who are evil. Those who are righteous would be those who are walking with Christ keeping His commandments. (See John 14:15-17). By contrast those who are not in Christ are in darkness and therefore are by default evil. (See John 3:19-21)
So I'm struck. There is just such a clear line, such a real line in the eyes of the Lord and there seems to be so much confusion and delay. People are in fact walking in the dark. In truth way more are in dark than are in the light. Darkness does not comprehend the light. Oh sure it can mimic it, it can copy it, it can dress like it and do all sorts of cool things but at the end of the day darkness will still spend eternity in hell, no matter how many schools it built or people it fed. This is so critical in my mind. Where is God's justice? Oh I could smash windows with that. God's justice is clear. Those who walk in the light spend eternity with Him and those who walk in darkness spend eternity apart from Him. That is about as just as things can ever be. He is holy. He is mighty. He is worthy. He is completely other than. Oh how we want him to look like we look. Oh how i am glad he looks nothing like me. I will continue to throw myself at His feet. I will continue to cry Holy and Worthy. I will continue to remember that I deserve hell and He showed me mercy. This God, His ways are perfect and I will never be the same again.