Monday, May 23, 2011

Worthy and Holy

I have been on a journey. I am not one to say whether i have moved on this journey, truth be told i look back over 3 and 1/2 years (and don't think for a minute that that number does not astound me because it does)and it feels like it has taken a long time for God to get this point across. The truth is that He is both Holy and Worthy, the end.

In 2008 i began to sit in a place of expectation that God would give me revelation on the book of Revelation. It needed to be settled for me. And while people are comfortable with saying it is not a major point in the world of theology, for me, it is. This book is the truth of things to come. It is not a wild story or an interesting metaphor. It is the absolute truth of our Savior's return. And when I read in Luke that the people had expectation of His first coming I realize that we have lost something. I am in expectation of His second coming. The Church has lost something of this. We have lost our expectation. But this is not my point, this is not what I am on about in this hour.

Six weeks ago I sat in a chair at IHOP KC and God spoke to me that He is both Holy and Worthy. He made clear that we can only understand this in the context of knowing His ways. And I was like, "what?" Because of course He is holy and worthy, but I was also like, "why am i not broken at this truth?" Sure we claim it, we say it. We agree to it even, but then what? And that right there is what has been eating at me since that day, in that chair. And then this weekend off we went in this direction. He is holy and worthy and everyone was all yes I am down for that but I was sitting there stunned for lots of reasons. But two mainly. Reason one is that God tells me this thing six weeks ago and He is also telling other people who are trying to wrestle with it. And we are wrestling because there is something huge in this truth, something that makes you scream, "I'll never be the same again."And while you are screaming it you know others are looking at you and wondering when you will get to the good part where they can see themselves in the story. But see that is the thing right there. We are not really in the story. And that doesn't sell as well as the story where you are so important that God sent His son for you. Cuz we are people and for us it is always about us.

And reason two you ask? Well reason two is the truth of it. Reason two is that the four living creatures cry holy and they do this because He "was and is and is to come" The elders cry worthy because He "created all things."  The creatures and the elders know the truth of it. He is God. and that settles it. They are forever broken because He is God. It is not about us. It is not a story about reconciliation(sure it is this really cool chapter cuz it's the part where we are important) It is about Him. He is Holy and He is Worthy. The end.